Thursday, August 13, 2009

Desperate Living

This is a freaky John Waters film about a crazy mom who’s family is trying to deal with the insanity at home. She yells out the window at the neighbor kids and it’s hilarious. “Tell your mother I HATE YOU!!!!” is screamed at a 10 year old kid. Classic. Then the mom walks in on two of her really young kids playing doctor (actually innocently playing doctor) and she screams at the 7 year old girl “You could be pregnant!!!!” The husband tries to give her a sedative and she lashes out and calls the housekeeper to come help. The housekeeper (a really large African American woman smacks him around with a broom and then sits on his face to smother him to death. A cop pulls them over when they try to escape and then the cop shows them his stocking and lingerie. The cop doesn’t arrest them, but sends them to a village of freakshows (literally) called Mortville. Wrasslin Rita has one of the most amazingly horrific wrestling outfits on and then she pops some guy’s eye out of his head. WTF? And I was forced to see some of the worst nudity I ever expect to see on film. Also, I forgot how much I LOATHE Edith Massey. In fact, all of John Waters’ film have the same actors in them, so you’re stuck with them if you don’t like some of them. I can’t even explain all the weird stuff in this movie. But if you like John Waters’ films or his characters, then you’ll like this one. I’m not a huge fan, so this one didn’t win me over. Amusing though, especially the terrible overacting.

No comments:

Post a Comment