Sunday, September 20, 2009

Inglourious Basterds

I love Quentin Tarantino films and I always have. I know they’re campy and have super far-fetched action and gore scenes, but I really think he’s a creative story-teller and entertainer – he also knows where to draw the line, but loves to step over that line regularly. This movie is an alternative history film about a special ops force during World War II sent into France to kill as many Nazis as they are able to. They are a hodgepodge mix of soldiers, mostly Jews, and a couple of Nazi defectors. They are led by Brad Pitt, an outlandish Tennessean who is part Apache, so he asks the soldiers to bring him scalps. So the thing you’re going to hear in most reviews is the gruesomeness of the scalping scenes. Sure, that was awesome, but the acting in this film is amazing. The main characters were all 100% believable, with Brad Pitt being the least believable, yet still believable in his outlandishness. The Germans in this film are actually played by Germans and are equally brilliant, especially Colonel Landa. It obviously has Tarantino’s hilarious quirks in the film, including inappropriate music and slow-motion bloodbaths. Just go see this film, unless you’re squeamish. It’s probably the best film this year in my opinion, but I still have a bunch more to see before I can say that with any authority.

No comments:

Post a Comment