Monday, June 22, 2009

Year One

I was unsure how this movie was going to be initially. In fact, I saw it last night and I’m still unsure what I think. Jack Black’s humor is starting to become blasé in my opinion. He’s still a spazz, but now that you expect it, it’s not as cutting or “out there.” However, the redeeming character in this film was Michael Cera. The kid always plays the same part, which I know some people complain about, but seriously, he made this film happen. Every time he talked, it was brilliant. His uncomfortable-in-his-own-skin quirkiness is a hilarious counterpart to Jack Black. It takes place back in biblical times in Genesis, but they just throw in a bunch of stories people know and aren’t really shooting for historical (cough cough bullshit cough cough) accuracy. So you’ll get Sodom and Gomorrah and Cain and Abel and the tree of knowledge, etc. David Cross has a mildly amusing part, but I like him better in other stuff. I kept telling myself, “I don’t like this film” but found myself laughing really heartily through much of it. My final overview is: Terrible movie, but enough consistent one liners to make it really funny. (Watch the outtakes during the credits as well)

No comments:

Post a Comment