Friday, October 23, 2009

Where The wild Things Are

I’ll admit, I’m one of the only people in the world who has never read this book. Yes I understand there are very few words in it and it’s for kids, but I’ve never read it. So I really didn’t know what to expect going in when M. Giant asked me to go to it. A little boy gets into a fight with his mother when he’s being a pain in the ass. He runs away and has an imaginary adventure (or is it?). He sails to an island inhabited by these giant creatures who take him in as their king. He tries to organize things on the island so everyone is happy, but ends up pissing off one or another of them all the time. He learns some life lessons and decides to sail back home to his mother. The costumes in this film are amazing and you forget they’re costumes eventually. It was kind of like The Dark Crystal for me. They’re very realistic and have facial expressions and emotions (both positive and negative) and just want everyone to get along. Forrest Whitaker and James Gandolfini are some of the voices of the characters and, while it’s not really geared towards kids (it’s very scary at times), it’s probably a great film for people who have read the book as a child. I was undecided on the soundtrack, but I came around to liking it as well. All in all, I thought this was a really good film. I'm guessing some of you will cry in it, but I was tough. I only end up crying during movies I have no business crying in (The Fly II and Bear Cub - look them up).

No comments:

Post a Comment