Saturday, April 4, 2009

Be Kind Rewind

I had heard a lot of bad things about this movie, but I generally like Jack Black, so I gave it a shot. Granted it's one of those movies, you're regularly saying, "come on, that wouldn't happen," but still I thought it was enjoyable. My friend Coach will not enjoy it because he is unable to suspend belief for short periods enough to actually enjoy anything for the sake of stupid comedy, but that's beside the point. Here's the plot, Jack black is sort of a conspiracy nutjob who breaks into a power plant to bring down the grid. He gets electrocuted which turns him magnetic. He is a regular at a mom and pop video store and ends up demagnetizing all the films. So to cover, Jack and Mos Def make their own versions of the films, which then become wildly popular. The movie store has to make enough money to make repairs or it gets torn down. To me Jack Black seemed somewhat toned down in the film, though there are bursts of craziness so it's not like he's a dramatic actor or anything. Mos Def goes between being a bumbling unintelligible simpleton to being well spoken and articulate and I think it's a pretty serious flaw. I wouldn't recommend it to most people, but I wouldn't steer anyone against it if they want to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment