Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Fando Y Lis

This is another Alejandro Jodorowsky film, and you all know how much I loathe his work. This one is no different. Full of some sort of drug induced symbolism that borders on retarded. A guy (Fando) pushes around his girlfriend (Lis) on a cart because she’s paralyzed. She carries with her a phonograph and a drum and a doll. Periodically, Fando will carry Lis around with him, but he carries her on the small of his back while standing upright, forming a human plus sign. Who the hell carries people like that? They’re apparently on the search for some mythical place called Tar. Along the way they find other retarded people who crawl around in the mud or breastfeed or dress up or are just plain morons. The movie doesn’t end up with much plot (as I suspected). Maybe I’m just not familiar with life in Chile or something, but I simply don’t get it nor do I want to. I’m hoping these actors and actresses in his films ar long gone because I’m guessing they’d be so embarrassed at the parts they’ve played. Maybe that’s just too harsh. Maybe it’s not.

No comments:

Post a Comment